27.11.12

A Private Preview Shopping Night at the New #IKEAWinnipeg @IkeaCanada



As a local Winnipeg blogger, I was invited to attend the Private Preview Shopping Night at Ikea Winnipeg.  Since the event took place, there has been a media frenzy surrounding the "ethics" of local media attending and taking advantage of such an event.  What do I have to say about that?  Well, first of all, I would never claim to be a part of the "local media" -- I'm a blogger.  I do this because I enjoy it, not because I get paid.  For me, it's a hobby and yes, blogging does come with some perks, some of the time.  Last night was one of those times, and I have no reason to hide the fact that I had a blast enjoying a few glasses of champagne, and shopping at the new store!  It was a party!  As a blogger, I do feel that I have a moral responsibility to disclose MOST of the items and compensation I receive to promote a business.  That being said, it comes with a certain expectation that bloggers are not out buying every item they review, or paying for every event they attend.  I would give most blog readers enough credit to assume that they're already aware of this.  I would also point out that bloggers are only deemed trustworthy if their readers feel it's deserved.  That comes with experience, and with honesty.


Now, let's get down to the cool stuff.  The event was fantastic, and I bought some great items for my kids!  I picked up a LILLABO wooden car set for my son, and some PYSSLA craft beads for my daughter.  I liked the fact that Ikea is so family friendly, with change tables and access to diapers in the washrooms and some fantastic children's products!  If I could re-furnish my kids rooms with Ikea stuff, I would absolutely do it.  There were staff on hand to answer any questions, which was helpful.  (For the record, Ikea does not currently stock a Waffle pan. ;)  And the layout of the store is set up such that it's a fluid, and organized shopping experience.  I look forward to spending more time there down the road, and picking up some more things for my family.  I've been excited for ages about Ikea coming to Winnipeg, and have been an Ikea shopper for years already, since living in Sydney, Australia where there are several Ikea stores.  Spending time at the new store last night re-affirmed what I already know and love about it:  Great, modern and stylish products for a great price, in a bright, clean, family friendly environment.  Welcome to Winnipeg, Ikea!  And thanks so much for a memorable and FUN evening!

Are you/will you be an Ikea Winnipeg shopper?  What do you think about all of this?  
   

Photobucket