22.10.11

Life With Baby

Adjusting to life with a newborn has been interesting. For the most part, I already knew what we would be in for - sleepless nights, a TON of breastfeeding and diapers - but having a 3 year old at home adds a new challenge! D has been doing really well with her baby brother. She loves him to pieces and tries to get her cuddles in with L as much as the rest of us. She gives him his pacifier when he's crying, and tells him it will be OK (totally adorable :) She asks for me to "bring him back" when I take him from their bedroom for a feed at night.

Having said that... We've had a few less than stellar moments with D as well. She gets up a lot at night lately, and I think it's because she knows that L gets so much attention when she's asleep in bed. She certainly misses the one-on-one time she used to get with us, so we've been trying to do as much with her as possible when there is a spare hour or two. One thing I've started doing is including D while I'm making lunch and dinner. She LOVES to help in the kitchen, and since this is time I have sans baby anyway, it's a good way to get a little alone time with her.

For those of you with 2+ kids... How did you go about making sure your older child wasn't feeling left out?

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. My children are 22 months apart. So our son was still very much into playing by himself. But I would put our daughter down when she slept and I didn't pick her up too much at all. I would hold her once in a while or pick her up while she was sleeping every so often to sneak in a snuggle, but most of the time, I didn't hold her when she was asleep. This helped her to also sleep at night for 4 to 6 hour stretches. Yes, this can be done. But yes, my son woke up more too after she was born. That was hard.

    She will soon stop waking up. Maybe explain to her that the baby wakes up to eat and have his diaper changed, and then goes back to sleep, and so does Mommy. Tell her that she doesn't need to wake up in the middle of the night because you will be going back to sleep and you won't have time to come and play with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had much of a chance to visit blogs lately, but I wanted to send you HUGE congrats on the birth of your little guy :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you for stopping by - if you have a blog, leave the URL so I can return the favor. :)