7.3.11

Remembering My Yesteryear

So, I guess it's that time of year again. Come this Saturday, I'll be another year older only this time it's not "just another year" - I'll be reaching a milestone birthday. One that, in my books, means leaving behind my youth for good. I knew I'd have to write about turning 30 in my blog, because I'd be lying if I said I haven't been thinking about it. A LOT. I just wasn't sure where I wanted to take this post yet. I could go on and on about how difficult my 20s actually were (and in no way - I mean NO way - would I have been exaggerating) but instead I think I'll keep things light, and positive.

Why not celebrate everything fabulous about being a kid and a young adult?!  I have tons of great memories, things I loved, loved to do, and things that made my life what it is today.  So with that in mind, here's a list of things which made my life just a little bit (or totally) awesome while growing up!  Let's go by decade:

1980's

1. Saturday morning cartoons.  You know they were better in the 80's!  Shows like My Pet Monster, Rainbow Brite, The Gummi Bears, Jem, and although it's not a cartoon this list wouldn't be complete without Saved By The Bell!  My brother and I would get up early, make ourselves a bowl full of sugary cereal (Froot Loops or Cocoa Pebbles) and chill out in front of the TV all morning long!


2.  Jelly Bracelets and Jelly Shoes.  LOVED them.

3.  Waking up on Summer Holidays, grabbing some breakfast and getting dressed, then running outside to find ALL the neighborhood kids ready to play - from water fights and tag, to hide & seek in the dark.  Also, might I add riding bikes everywhere, even if we were going to a friend's house just 4 doors down. 


1990's
1. Brereton Lake and spending summers at the cottage with my Mom, Dad and Brother (and all of my "lake siblings"!)  It's still one of the most special places in the world to me, and I love that my daughter will grow up there too.

2. I'll admit it: Boy Bands.  Everyone from New Kids on the Block, to N'sync and the Backstreet Boys.  I got caught up in the boy band craze like a little school girl.  Oh, wait, I was a little school girl! 

3. Highschool:  I have a little bit of love and a little bit of hate for these years.  I would never want to go back and do it all again, but they played a big role in who I turned out to be.  Art class, sporting events, crappy school dances... *sigh*  Yeah, no, I don't miss it. lol.

4.  Finding my core group of friends.  I didn't go to school with them, some of them I grew up with and some I met along the way, but one thing is certain - we eventually became more like family, and that holds true to this day.

2000's
1.  The partying.  Did I do things I would later regret?  Pffffft, of course I did!  Would I change it?  Nah, I don't think so.  My friends and I had our regular place, with a regular table and our regular group of people and we'd go out several nights a week.  I guess when you're young and have no real responsibilities besides some low paying job to go to in the morning, you can get away with these things. ; )


2.  Ahhh, alright... 3 years in Australia was pretty great, all things considered.  I won't go into detail, but the experience made me one hell of a lot stronger.  Among my favorite things in Sydney: Attending university, shopping in the city, hanging out on the harbor, the beach, and my wonderfully supportive friends.


3.  My grown-up life today, here in Winnipeg where I belong with my family.  My husband and my daughter, and our everyday life together.

Of course there are many, many more events and things I could write about.  I could go into so much detail, things that would make you laugh and a lot that would make you cry.  The point is, these past 30 years have been, for the most part, pretty rad... Here's hoping the next 30  (*gag* they'd better not fly by as quickly as these ones did!) are just as great.


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I'm so sorry to learn that 30 means leaving one's youth behind. I'll be 53 in May and am still waiting to grow up! It's just a number. Inside I'm still 17 and am frequently surprised at my reflection in the mirror! How'd my mother get there?

    Happy early birthday! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! When I read the sentence "One that, in my books, means leaving behind my youth for good." I assumed you meant that you were turning 40...

    Because I'm closer to 40 but my youth is in full force.

    -Steph

    @stephmarshall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picture are looking nice and couple is so cute. I like colorful bracelet very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share a lot of your memories, rainbow bright( i had the wallpaper!), jelly bracelets (we wore them a special twisted way too, you may know what i mean), huge bowls of brightly coloured cereal and saved by the bell mornings where my all time fave too! hehe! aaw great times!

    New to your blog, it's so lovely! my love and best wishes with the pregnancy. congratulations! xxx

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you for stopping by - if you have a blog, leave the URL so I can return the favor. :)