3.10.10

Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash

I write all the time about trying to get D to eat her veggies - or, to be honest, to eat anything at all! The other day while grocery shopping, I picked up an Acorn Squash. I had no idea what to do with it. I cook sweet potatoes all the time, and when D was small I used to make pureed pumpkin for her occasionally, but I've never done a squash before! I found a recipe online at AllRecipes.com (an awesome resource if you've never checked it out.) It's pretty basic, but the results were really yummy. I think, had D been brave enough to put even the tiniest morsel of this in her mouth, she really would have liked it! For those of you whose kids are picky, but will at least try things - here's the recipe:


Roasted Apple Stuffed Squash

Ingredients:

  • 1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
  • 1 Large Apple, peeled, cored and chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. extra light olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp butter (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Brush squash with olive oil, then in a shallow baking pan, cut side down.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until tender.
  4. Turn cut side up; stuff the hollows with apple chunks, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. (Dot the tops with butter - optional - I didn't bother to do this.)
  5. Bake for 20 minutes more or until apples are tender.

I'll admit, I did a bit of tweaking and combined 2 recipes to make this one - but it turned out great! For faster cooking time, you can microwave the halved squash on high for 5 minutes to get things started.

Enjoy!



Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I think I might have to try this one, it looks great. I love allrecipes, and always go there for inspiration. My four-year-old is extremely picky too!

    Have you ever tried making butternut squash oven baked fries?

    Thank you for participating in last week’s Follow Us Monday Morning! I hope you will stop by and participate in this week’s Follow Us Monday Morning @ Frugality Is Free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. slow cooking usually brings flavor of the ingredients really well, so if you're roasting chicken or beef, why not make this unusual recipe for the corn to go with it?

    find friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. Showcase Sisters is now following you from Moms Review 4 You Wednesday Blog Hop!

    http://showcasesisters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sounds is really yummy and delicious . I have enjoyed butternut squash oven baked fries couple of days ago. I think that I will enjoy this recipe at this moment . I can't wait to enjoy it. My mouth is still watering.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you for stopping by - if you have a blog, leave the URL so I can return the favor. :)